The Crew of MAIA! Dick & Laura
(Ellie retired from sailing in December 2017. She lived happily on land for another couple of years until she reached the age of 15!)
We, (Dick and Laura) live aboard our 41 foot Sceptre sailboat, MAIA. We are currently sailing and cruising the great Pacific Ocean.
In November 2015, we sold our home in Park City, Utah. Before selling our home, we spent months de-cluttering our lives; getting rid of things that no longer served a purpose. We quit our jobs in December 2015. We purchased our “new home”, our 41 ft. sailboat “Maia” in February of 2016 in the Pacific North West.
Our sailing resume to date:
- February 2016 – September 2016, sailed Strait of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Haro Strait, Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound, Discovery Passage, Johnstone Strait, The Broughtons, Queen Charlotte Strait, West Coast of Vancouver Island
- September 2016 – February 2017, sailed West Coast of US. From Neah Bay to San Francisco Bay, five days and five nights with 3 crew members, remaining coast to San Diego with two crew members
- March 2017 – May 2017, sailed West Coast of Baja around and up to the Sea of Cortez as far North as San Juanico Cove. Then sailed back around Cabo Falso and up the West Coast of Baja to San Diego
- June – December 2017, sailed in Southern California
- January – March 2018, sailed South along the West Coast of Baja to Mainland Mexico as far south as Banderas Bay (La Cruz, Puerto Vallarta)
- March 27 – April 23, 2018, South Pacific crossing from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to Hiva Oa, Marquesas
- April 2018 to November 2018, Explored South Pacific Islands; Marquesas, Tuamotus, Societies, Cooks, American Samoa, Samoa, Tonga, Minerva Reef
- November 2018 to June 2019, New Zealand; arrived in Opua, New Zealand (Bay of Islands), land traveled on both the North and South Islands and sailed the North East coast of the North Island. In June sailed from Opua through Minerva Reef to Savusavu, Fiji.
- June to September 2019 Sailed and cruised around the beautiful tropical Islands of Fiji.
- September 2019, explored the Islands of Vanuatu from Aneytium to Port Villa.
- October 2019 voyaged through New Caledonia Islands; Lifou, Grande Terre (the mainland) and the stunning Isle de Pins.
- October 28, 2019 arrived in Bundaberg, Australia and currently sailing and exploring the land of Oz.
Ellie the salty dog on deck in Port Townsend, Washington where were began our Journey!
(update: as of December 2017 our 13 yr old salty dog, Ellie, is retired and is now living a more comfortable life in a home with a big yard in San Diego. She is very happy girl!)