The Crew of MAIA! Dick & Laura (Ellie retired in December 2017. She is a very happy girl, living a spoiled life on land!)
We, (Dick and Laura) live aboard our 41 foot Sceptre sailboat, MAIA. We are currently sailing and cruising the great Pacific Ocean.
In November 2015, we sold our home in Park City, Utah. Before selling our home, we spent months de-cluttering our lives; getting rid of things that no longer served a purpose. We quit our jobs in December 2015. We purchased our “new home”, our 41 ft. sailboat “Maia” in February of 2016 in the Pacific North West.
Our sailing resume to date:
- February 2016 – September 2016, sailed Strait of Juan De Fuca, San Juan Islands, Haro Strait, Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia, Desolation Sound, Discovery Passage, Johnstone Strait, The Broughtons, Queen Charlotte Strait, West Coast of Vancouver Island
- September 2016 – February 2017, sailed West Coast of US. From Neah Bay to San Francisco Bay, five days and five nights with 3 crew members, remaining coast to San Diego with two crew members
- March 2017 – May 2017, sailed West Coast of Baja around and up to the Sea of Cortez as far North as San Juanico Cove. Then sailed back around Cabo Falso and up the West Coast of Baja to San Diego
- June – December 2017, sailed in Southern California
- January – March 2018, sailed South along the West Coast of Baja to Mainland Mexico as far south as Banderas Bay (La Cruz, Puerto Vallarta)
- March 27 – April 23, 2018, South Pacific crossing from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to Hiva Oa, Marquesas
- April 2018 to November 2018, Explored South Pacific Islands; Marquesas, Tuamotus, Societies, Cooks, American Samoa, Samoa, Tonga, Minerva Reef
- November 2018 arrived in Opua, New Zealand (Bay of Islands)
- January 2019 to May 2019, sailed the North East coast of the North Island of New Zealand; cruised from the Bay of Islands to Auckland, around the Auckland area to Great Mercury Island, as far South as Mercury Bay. Then, sailed North to Great Barrier Island and back to the Bay of Islands.
- June 2019, sailed from Opua, New Zealand through Minerva Reef to Savusavu, Fiji.
- Currently, sailing in the tropics, cruising the Islands of Fiji.
Ellie the salty dog!
(update: as of December 2017 our 13 yr old salty dog, Ellie, retired and is now living a more comfortable life in a home with a big yard in San Diego. She is very happy girl!)